- Permanent, Full Time
- Closes 18th June 2018
- Requisition ID: WD167863
- Required degrees: Bachelors
Biopharm Molecular Discovery (BPMD) is a department dedicated to the discovery of novel and effective biopharmaceutical medicines. This department comprises several complementary functions focused on the progression of a portfolio of biopharmaceuticals from initial antibody discovery, expression and characterisation to molecular engineering and biological and physiochemical profiling.
Within the BPMD Unit, the Molecular Design and Engineering (MDE) group takes accountability for antibody engineering and developability profiling to continuously improve molecule quality and transform discovered leads into potential therapeutics prior to candidate selection.
An opportunity has arisen for an Antibody Engineering Team Leader to lead a group responsible for all aspects of antibody engineering including molecular cloning and plasmid generation, humanisations, molecular design to improve molecule quality and bespoke engineering. They will also have the opportunity to build capability to bring in automated workflows and data handling.
The Antibody Engineering Team Leader will report to the Head of Biopharm Molecular Design and Engineering and be an integral member of the MDE Leadership Team. He/she will be expected to play a role in developing and executing the strategy of the unit and translating this into key deliverables and capability development initiatives for the group.
He/she will lead a team of ~3-5 people that actively engages across the organization and has the necessary capabilities and capacity to deliver the pipeline.
Key responsibilities include:
• Lab based scientific leadership
• Demonstration of strong scientific leadership in antibody engineering
• Accountability for all plasmid generation, antibody humanisations and bespoke engineering within the MDE group
• Building capability around antibody protein engineering
• Building strong relationships with other groups in Molecular Discovery and Development
• Jointly accountable as member of the MDE leadership team for delivering the portfolio and other departmental objectives
• Contributing to developing and executing the strategy of the group
• Inspiring and motivating a team of ~3-5 scientists;, supporting and identifying development opportunities to allow individuals to realise their full potential
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Closing date for applications: 18th June 2018
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
• PhD or equivalent experience in antibody engineering, molecular biology or related discipline
• Highly experienced scientist with a deep understanding of molecular biology and new technologies in this area
• Demonstrated understanding of the antibody discovery process and molecular design/ developability space
• Experience of working with and prioritising a portfolio of activities
• Excellent track record of critiquing scientific data with the ability to identify and resolve challenging scientific questions
• Track record of delivery of decision-making experimental data
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Line and/or matrix leadership skills with experience of building and motivating new teams
• Interest in application of automation to both molecular biology processes
• Experience in applying data solutions to manual processes
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.