- Permanent, Full Time
- Closes 29th June 2018
- Requisition ID: WD150804
GSK is a science-led global healthcare company dedicated to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. To advance GSK’s discovery of new medicines, we seek smart, creative people who enjoy solving challenging problems and want to improve the lives of millions of people.
The preclinical statistics team collaborates with top laboratory and clinical scientists to advance exciting, innovative ideas in drug discovery. We use a wide variety of statistical skills to design experiments, analyze data, and visualize results for projects that range from small studies with single endpoints to high-dimensional genomic data. We use traditional statistical methods and modern machine learning algorithms, design experiments to develop new technologies and analyze data to identify biomarkers for clinical trials. Our work is varied and challenging with the common goal to advance the science of human health.
To succeed, team members need good technical and communication skills and the ability to learn rapidly, develop practical solutions, and apply statistical techniques in creative ways. Successful candidates will be innovative, pragmatic, and flexible, thriving in a dynamic, collegial environment with frequent new challenges and excellent opportunities to develop and succeed.
Closing date for applications: Friday 29th June 2018 at 17:00 GMT.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
• PhD in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field.
• Strong academic record.
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
• Ability to identify existing or develop new statistical methods to improve the design, analysis, and interpretation of scientific studies.
• Ability to evaluate, recommend, and implement statistical tools for addressing scientific problems.
• Ability to learn new statistics skills quickly and independently.
• Ability to apply statistics skills accurately to practical problems.
• Ability to collaborate well with scientists from other disciplines, building and maintaining strong working relationships.
• Ability to explain novel and standard statistical methods clearly to scientific colleagues.
• Motivated to solve challenging problems in drug discovery.
• Practical understanding of at least some of the following statistics topics: experimental design, mixed models, Bayesian methods, linear and nonlinear regression, repeated measures, machine learning algorithms, analysis of high-dimensional data.
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.