- Permanent, Full Time
- Closes Tomorrow 01:00
- Requisition ID: WD62355
- Required degrees: Phd/Doctorate
GSK is a place where ideas come to life. As one of the world’s leading research-based healthcare companies, we’re dedicated to developing medicines, vaccines and brands that help millions of people around the world do more, feel better and live longer. With our headquarters in the UK, we have a wide geographical reach, with offices in more than 115 countries. We represent a 5.5 per cent share of the world’s pharmaceutical market and are responsible for an extensive range of products from prescription medicines to popular consumer healthcare products.
Why work for us:
GSK has one of the strongest development pipelines in the entire industry, but we have set ourselves the ambitious task of doubling that pipeline and delivering around five new medicines each year. To reach that goal, our decisions are being driven by scientific advances, which open up great opportunities for scientists. Last year, we spent just under £4 billion researching new medicines through our global research sites, across a wide range of different therapeutic areas. The output from our research teams feeds into the global manufacturing and supply network, a hugely complex and high-tech operation consisting of 77 sites across 32 countries supplying 4 billion individual products every year.
This role is for a laboratory based synthetic organic chemist carrying out experimental work within medicinal chemistry programmes and teams.
For the successful candidate, this involves designing and executing synthetic plans to deliver small quantities of compound for biological evaluation. In addition to the laboratory component of this role, this will also involve analysing data, and designing compounds to test medicinal chemistry hypotheses. In contrast to using synthetic organic chemistry to discover new reactions or methodology, this role will involve applying synthesis to discover compounds with improved biological activity.
• Maintain high synthetic productivity.
• Required to develop and realise synthetic/medicinal chemistry plans with high scientific rigour.
• Must maintain a consistent high laboratory presence and make laboratory-based contributions.
If requiring an adjustment for a disability, once selected for Interview you may contact email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 25th May 2018
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
• First class or upper second class degree or equivalent in chemistry.
• A PhD/D.Phil and postdoctoral research experience in synthetic chemistry.
• A broad and deep knowledge of practical organic chemistry and current synthetic methodology is an essential requirement, as shown by an extensive track record of high personal synthetic productivity, route design and problem solving. Evidence of applying innovative synthetic chemistry to solve problems is required.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific data.
• Self-starting, proactive in their work with a track record of high productivity and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ideal candidates will have a track record of pro-activity and creativity which has made an impact on the work of others.
• An awareness and understanding of medicinal chemistry principles and their use within a drug discovery setting.
• Applicants should have a track record of peer reviewed publications based predominantly on their own work. A record of presenting at scientific meetings is also expected.
• Ability to supervise staff effectively and ensure that they have robust objectives and personal development plans in place at all times.
• Ability to work across boundaries.
• Candidates must be highly proficient in verbal and written English and must have outstanding communication skills.
• Be committed to personal professional development.
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.