- RAF Cosford
Wolverhampton WV7 3EX
- Monday 6th August 2018 00:00 - Friday 10th August 2018 00:00
- Event Type
- STEM Sector
- The Smallpeice Trust in collaboration with the RAF
- The Smallpeice Trust
74 Upper Holly Walk
Leamington Spa. CV32 4JL
The Smallpeice Trust has partnered with the RAF to offer this World of Engineering course which will be held at RAF Cosford base and is completely FREE for female students, Year 10 or students aged 14/15 yrs at the time of the course. (British nationals only)
There is no better way to experience the power of engineering than by seeing first-hand how it solves real life problems. This course teams you with RAF and other engineers, who will guide you through every step of the process.
The course will give you lots of opportunities to push yourself out of your comfort zone, to try new things that you didn’t think you were capable of and to work with people you might not have met before. By taking every one of these opportunities and trying your hardest throughout the course, you will discover something new about yourself and begin to develop the employability skills that are critical in adult life. The course will include:-
- Designing and building using a range of different materials.
- Learning the practical applications of the techniques and processes you will be using.
- Understanding the importance of budgets in developing designs and materials, allowing you to calculate the financial impact of your decisions.
- Working alongside real engineers drawing on their knowledge and putting your new skills into practise.
- Gaining valuable employment skills, working in a team, communication, time management, problem solving, planning and presentations.
- Working towards a British Science CREST Award and an Industrial Cadet Award, both of which are viewed favourably by universities in your personal statement and by employers in your CV.
There will be no cost involved apart from the cost of transport to and from RAF Cosford on the first and last day, with food and accommodation during the week being provided along with any items of specialist clothing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 15 April 2018
*** Applications will be reviewed by the RAF, so please take your time when applying as places will be awarded on merit of content ***
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE START AND FINISH TIMES ARE STILL TO BE CONFIRMED. THE INFORMATION CURRENTLY AVAILABLE IN THIS EVENT INFORMATION SECTION IS FOR GUIDELINES ONLY.